The Guy Who Found the iPhone 4 Prototype in a Bar is Doing a Reddit AMA


The Guy Who Found the iPhone 4 Prototype in a Bar is Doing a Reddit AMA
Brian Hogan, the guy who found the iPhone 4 prototype in a bar and then sold it to Gizmodo, is doing a Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA).

-----
Hey guys, My name is Brian and 3 years ago I played a part in the infamous leaking of the iPhone 4. A few people have suggested that I do an AMA, so here I am! This http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threa ... -hogan.jpg is the picture of me that was circulated around the press, and this http://imgur.com/7hZTHED is a pic of me now.

Background story: When I was 21 I was at a bar pretty late at night with 2 friends. After the last call both of my friends went to the bathroom, as they left a random drunk guy came out, walked up to me, picked up the phone on the bar stool next to me, and said don't forget your phone! I told him it wasn't mine and I didn't know who it belonged to. Random drunk guy hands me the phone and tasks me with finding its owner. I ask around and cant figure out who it belongs to, and after my friends returned we left and walked home having intentions of figuring out who the phone belonged to and giving it back.

The next day I woke up and actually forgot that I had the phone at first, then went about trying to figure out who it belonged to. I checked Craigslist, then started looking at the actual phone for clues. First I noticed that the screen looked like it had a higher resolution than any iPhone I had seen, then that the case had plastic pieces/buttons in strange places. When I took the case off I found an iPhone with a flat back, flat edges, and a forward facing camera. There were two bar code stickers on the back, and there were a series of x's instead of a serial number. I was very curious/excited at this point, but I had no idea what I had.

Long story short, my friend Sage and I decided the phone was an Apple product, we decided to test and see the leverage that something like that had. First Sage contacted Apple to tell them that we think we might have it, and after they blew him off he started contacting different tech blogs to see if they wanted to meet in person and look at the phone (for money). The people at Gizmodo took us seriously, we met, and, they thought it was real too. About a month after that first meeting Gizmodo posted the article leaking the phone. There's obviously a lot more to the story but I'll get into the detail in my responses. I rarely talk about topic with people, but my conscience is clear, I'm over the embarrassment, and life's too short for some of the guilt I was placing upon myself about it. So fuck it, AMA.
-----

If you have any questions for Hogan, head over to the link below and ask away.

Read More [via Nema]


0 comments:

 
 iPhone © 2012 | Designed by LogosDatabase.com, in collaboration with Credit Card Machines, Corporate Headquarters and Motivational Quotes